This week, we would have been serving a BBQ lunch!
BBQ is one of the best parts of the summer and the weather right now is perfect for it! If you don’t have a BBQ, these recipes are easily made on the stove. Some great ideas for BBQ are:
- grilled chicken
- pork souvlaki
- portobello mushroom burgers
- grilled vegetables
Today, we will be providing you with 2 burger recipes, one meat and one vegetarian. Both are packed with flavour and protein, so take your pick!
Beef Burger Recipe
2 pieces white sandwich bread, crusts removed and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
1/3 cup milk
2 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced
1-1/2 tbs Worcestershire sauce
2 tbs ketchup
3 lbs ground beef
3 green onions, finely sliced
8 hamburger buns
- Preheat the grill to high heat (if using a stove, don’t turn it on yet!)
- In a large bowl, mash the bread and milk together with a fork until it forms a chunky paste.
- Add the salt, pepper, garlic, Worcestershire sauce and ketchup and mix well.
- Add the ground beef and scallions and break the meat up with your hands. Gently mix everything together until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Divide the mixture into 8 equal portions and form loose balls. Flatten the balls into patties. Form a slight depression in the center of each patty to prevent the burgers from puffing up on the grill. (If you are using the stove, now is the time to turn it to high heat)
- Grease the grill with non-flammable cooking spray. Grill the burgers, covered, until nicely browned on the first side, 2-4 minutes. Flip burgers and continue cooking for a few minutes more until cooked the way you like. Before serving, toast the buns.
Recipe adapted from: Once Upon A Chef
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burger Recipe
1 can pinto or black beans (other varieties also work)
3 tbs tomato paste or ketchup
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder, optional
1/4 tsp onion powder
2 tbs flour of choice or oat bran
1/2 cup roasted sweet potato
- Drain, rinse, and mash the beans either by hand or in a food processor, depending on desired burger texture.
- Stir in all other ingredients, and form patties.
- Either pan fry (flipping halfway through cooking) or place on a parchment-lined pan and bake at 350 F for 10 minutes. Flip, then bake an additional 10 minutes or until desired texture is reached. They can also be grilled.
- Leftovers can be refrigerated or frozen.
Recipe adapted from: Chocolate Covered Katie