INFORMATION ON COVID-19We are closely monitoring and evaluating the situation around the Coronavirus (COVID-19) to ensure we are taking the necessary measures to protect the health and wellbeing of our clients, volunteers, and employees. For our most recent statement, click here.
SUMMER STUDENT EMPLOYMENT
From Garden To Table Assistant
We are seeking a dynamic secondary or post-secondary student who enjoys growing and cooking food to assist with our farm/garden and community kitchen ventures. The ‘From Garden to Table Assistant’ will work both indoors and outdoors learning the importance of food security, growing and eating locally, preserving the harvest, and gleaning from local farms. The individual will learn basic growing skills, will help with the harvesting, preparing, and serving of fresh produce, and will assist staff in events and workshops. The preferred candidate is someone who lives within a commutable distance to Cannington and has a driver’s licence with reliable access to a car.
The position is for 35 hours/week over 8 weeks (likely five 7-hour days) with a compensation of $15.00/ hour.
- Support the Community Development and Food Access Coordinators with preparations and delivery of programs that address the underlying causes of food insecurity and poverty.
- Assist with donation outreach, receiving deliveries, assessing quality/value, organizing and storing food.
- Site maintenance including planting and maintaining gardens.
- Process, preserve, and serve food in our commercial kitchen.
- Research and help to develop new programs, and monitor and evaluate existing programs and projects.
- Assist in the promotion and celebration of local good food.
- Help uphold safety measures and protocols, and perform other related errands and duties as required.
The Nourish and Develop Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. We work to develop an inclusive work environment where team members feel empowered to express authentic ideas and experiences. We welcome applications from all qualified applicants with an interest in advancing our mission, vision and values. If contacted for a job opportunity, please advise us of any accommodation measures required to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received will be addressed in confidence.
Our office hours are Monday to Friday, from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, so there is some room for flexibility in hours. The successful candidate will benefit from a comprehensive training program, quality supervision and recognition of contributions.
The Nourish and Develop Foundation is carefully practicing COVID-19 safety measures as ordered by Durham Health and as outlined in TNDF’s Emergency Action Plan. The successful candidate must be prepared to make safety provisions while performing all job duties and be adaptable to changing requirements.
Download the full job description here.
Please apply by emailing your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 24th 2021
Please note that only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.